Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Changing Gears

It's easy to change gears when your driving a stick shift. Much different when it's your daily routine. I suppose teachers experiences it every summer. That lull between jobs where you feel somewhat lost. The end of the year was hectic and you complained you didn't have enough hours in the day. Now you have plenty to do but nothing demanding your time. You don't know where to start. After a huge project is finished at work, there is always the let down. You are relieved but a little lost.
Vacations are like that for many people. They are so use to frantic activity and then there is nothing to do. The first day it is great but after 10 days, you want the routine back in your life.
May is a busy time for substitute teachers. I've been doing this job 5 years and I love it. I love being with the kids, even the ones who give me trouble. But it comes after months of intense writing and during May I miss my time. So now it's June and I have the time to consentrate on my book. But now I miss the kids. It's hard to change gears.
I wish you could take a pill for transition. Something to help you get over the hump. But there isn't medication for changing gears. Even if there was, it would probably have side effects like the feeling of jumping off a bridge or putting your cat in the microwave. So I'll just have to be grateful to be doing two things that I love.

2 comments:

  1. It's balance that I'm looking for, not too much work, not too much time off, I need to be balanced, but I have to work at that.
    Great perspective, but don't put the cat in the micro!
    Sharon P.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Toss in a soccer game or two and you will relish that time to write again. Nine more days of school. I can't wait.....

    ReplyDelete