Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Go Ahead and Be Bad!

Anything worth doing is worth doing poorly at first. At least that is what my husband Bill tells his classes when they try a new skill. He's right but I don't like to admit it.

I know it's true with writing. My first attempt at a book, an established author put her shaking head in her hands while laughing when reading it. I could have quit writing that day but I decided that I liked writing for writing's sake. I also decided that the author was stupid and clueless about my work. It helps to bash your critics but not to their faces.

That was five years ago and I am better. I have published some articles in our denominational magazine. I am working on 2 books. I remind myself that we have to start somewhere even if it is embarrassing and others are aware of your failings. For me, it is okay to be hohum, to be average, to be even bad at first, if I can write one great sentence in the end.

So I want to encourage you , my friend to be bad and start working toward your dreams.

No comments:

Post a Comment