Thursday, April 1, 2010

Buffalo's Braodway Market

Want to be a kid again? Visit the Broadway Market this Easter Season. Beside the Easter Bunny and the clowns making animal balloons, there are plenty of smells, sights and treats to satisfy your senses until next year.
Karen Michelle and I decended on the market Wednesday afternoon only to find aisles cleared of the packs of shoppers we usually see in the mornings. We were greeted by a giant chocolate rabbit you can win if you want to gain 50 pounds and be on a continual sugar high this spring.
We prefered the smells of the babka breads, hot crossed buns and cinnamon rolls and headed over to drool over these goodies. Lunch was the polish plate; glumke (stuffed cabbage rolls), polish sausage and kraut, lazy pieroge and vegetable for S7.99. We dismissed the homemade perogi at $1 a crack. It's good but not that good. We had to buy, for the first time, horseradish root. Bill tells the story of his grandmother grating horseradish in her NYC apartment in the window sill with the window pulled down to protect her eyes. He has to show me how this is done. Then we headed for the flavored noodles from Denver we bought last year. Porcini Mushroom noodles are delightful. Karen likes a lemon mixture linguine. Kelly's chocolates are so delicious that I will deny my obession with bargins. I always buy the orange chocolate. This year I bought chicken sausage but don't tell Bill or Mark. It was so tasty let alone healthy and cheaper than pork. Talk about tasty; have you ever had a pastry heart? I tired a bite and will never be the same. I am lusting for more.
Enough about food. There are also gift items with an Easter/spring theme. I usually buy a Polish or Ukrainain Wooden Easter Egg. Wooden because I will never forgive myself for breaking a few of Bill's grandmothers delicate eggs. This year I was braver-I bought a ceramic egg that is white with red and black patterns, typical of the Ukraine.
This was our day going from booth to booth delighting the clerks with our enthusiam and humor. You only have a few more days to get the Easter treats. Go ahead and be a child again. Go to the Market.

3 comments:

  1. Now I'm REALLY sad to have missed it this year!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Any memories of visiting the Oakland County Farmer's Market??? Still there. Still delighting the senses.....just minus the Ernst's corn stand. The farm has been closed for good.

    ReplyDelete
  3. If the market was near the Pontiac Mall I remember it. At that time they only sold food, fresh eggs that I did not like the taste of. Did we go together?

    ReplyDelete